Entomology Consulting & Services
Entomologist, Michelle Gleeson (formerly Larsen) offers entomological consulting services, specialising in field work, live and preserved insect displays, insect wrangling for film shoots as well as curation of insect collections. She can also provide custom made resin blocks of insects, other arthropods or other natural specimens upon request. Michelle’s relevant experience and entomological consulting services are outlined below.
Michelle Gleeson, Entomologist
Over the years Michelle has done consulting, field work, live insect rearing and research for many local and international companies and educational institutions. Work for these companies has resulted in the following publications (click here). Referrals are available upon request, or see the testimonial below.
Michelle has carried out extensive field work in Australia (eg. South East Queensland, Far North Queensland, Northern New South Wales and Southern Victoria) and is highly competent in the following areas:
- canopy work
- construction and deployment of pitfall, malaise, bait, intercept & pheromone delta traps
- light trapping
- aquatic insect collecting
- subterranean collecting including caves & underground drainage systems
- collecting & surveying in agricultural crops
- general collecting & handling techniques
- horticulture, collection & care of host plants
- preparation & packaging of live specimens for local, interstate & international transport
Consulting & development
Michelle has helped to conceive, implement and co-ordinate displays for:
- Bugs in the System invertebrate display at Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve Rainforest Discovery Centre
- The International Congress of Entomology
- National Science Week
- The Siemens Science Experience
- UQ Open Day
- Logan Eco Action Festival
Laboratory Work and Insect Curation
Through her work at the University of Queensland and Mount Glorious Biological Centre Michelle has gained experience in:
- breeding & culturing of a wide range of insects, including Lepidoptera, Phasmatodea & Hempitera
- culturing of exotic material in Quarantine facilities
- dissecting (including micro-dissecting of very small specimens)
- recording & analysis of acoustic communication
- construction of breeding cages, observation chambers & flight cages
- pinning, mounting, labelling & preservation of specimens
- databasing of specimens using Microsoft Access
- identification of specimens using dichotomous & Lucid Keys
- slide preparation & mounting
- restoration & curation of collections
- display cases & static insect displays
Sturdy resin-mounted specimens can be specially made to suit your requirements. You can supply your own specimens or order something specific from us. We can include labels, logos and have a range of sizes to choose from.
Insect “wrangling” for film and television
Michelle has worked on film sets with live insects for commercials, television shows and documentaries over the years. She can source and supply specimens and be on hand during the shoot to ensure you get the shot you need.
Please contact us for more information and to discuss your research needs.
Entomology Testimonial“My sabbatical research visit to Australia in 2005-2006 was greatly amplified in success primarily due to Michelle Gleeson. She was not only completely familiar with the Australian plants, insects, and wildlife, but knew the best times and places to be in the field to locate different species. Her physical endurance was matched only by her continuous and totally unbridled enthusiasm about our butterfly project, and nature in general. This combination of knowledge, hard work, and unlimited energy is packaged in a most pleasant personality. It is no wonder that her children's science education programs are so successful.
Michelle's commitment to our butterfly research was so intense that she continued to "work" even on her weekends and personal time at home. Day or night, rain (thunderstorms) or shine (sweltering heat/humidity), she was always willing and able to get the tasks done! Her excellent suggestions throughout the project insured maximum efficiency as well as success. In my 35 year career, I have never worked with a more dedicated and competent biology colleague. Excited by all aspects of biology, and with years of experience in the field, she is truly a natural "gem". Her value can not be overstated! She has become a colleague, co-author, and lifetime friend.”
Professor J. Mark Scriber
Office of Entomology, Agriculture & Natural Resources
Michigan State University